Thursday, April 3, 2008

Happiness Is ... (a shoe review)

... a great pair of shoes. I have "hamma' time in my feet" as D likes to tease me (in reference to some Eddie Murphy movie, don't ask me which!)--namely bunions--which make the shoe game a little tricky. About 4 years ago, in preparation for a trip to Disney World, my generous mom treated me to a pair of Dansko sandals. I never knew sandals could be so heavenly. I wore those things into the ground and then some.

Last summer, while training for the Top of Utah marathon, I developed an unexplained but incredibly painful foot injury. I rehabbed it for a good 2 weeks, mid-training, and didn't have any more problems with it. Well, springtime has rolled around here in Cali, and I busted out my Dansko sandals. Not too much later, that exact mysterious injury from last summer reared its ugly head again. Now, I can't pinpoint it 100% to the sandals (though pretty close seeing as I am doing a ridiculously small amount of anything resembling exercise) but as soon as that possibility occurred to me, I marched the 4-year old sandals right out to the trash can and chucked them in, bidding them a brief but fond farewell.

Initially I thought I'd splurge for another pair, but realizing that this summer will carry me through a third trimester in pregnancy, I hated to risk stretching out such a nice pair of sandals. Plus, I wanted something with even more cushion and absolutely no lift. Enter my first ever pair of Keens. Now, I'm no river runner, but I wanted a sandal, incredible comfort, but versatile (as in I can bike my kids around, kick the soccer ball, tramp through the orchard) and these truly fit the bill. They're definitely on the pricey side, but generally the shoes I have to buy for my feet are. I just buy fewer pairs. REI had a great 20% discount offer going on in March for members, so that helped.

The short conclusion is that I adore these shoes so much, I went and got a pair for Chatterbox. I want her toes protected while she rides bikes all over the place and I wanted something comfortable. Again, we visited REI where are lots of cute colors (pink, purple, aqua) but we opted for brown since they'll go with more things. A little boyish-looking, but that's okay. Again, way more than I usually spend on kids' shoes, but they will be it--sandals, athletic, water. No need for anything else. (And if I'm lucky, they'll last through 3 girls!) Land's End has some cute sandals (with toe covered) that I considered. But I was wary of not being able to try them on my girl first.And now, we are set to wander all over Disneyland in May. New, comfortable shoes truly put a smile on my face!

9 comments:

Paige said...

My brother works at REI and is ALWAYS singing the praises of Keens. They aren't the most aesthetically pleasing, but I guess that isn't their goal. Glad to know you found something that works! I didn't know they made them in girly colors for kids. Those would be WAY more sturdy than Crocs for our "summer shoe."

Polliwog said...

I actually think they're pretty dang cute, but I'm a sporty type of gal. They're no slingback heel, that's for sure. I like the Euro look to them.

Charity said...

LOVE my KEENS!! Got a pair in the kids section for myself and my 8 year old at REI clearance...have to say, I wear them all the time...even have been tempted to wear them to church...I HATE dress shoes....

cherl said...

My toddler wore his KEENsevery single day last summer and is still trying to wear them (though they are a little snug). Maybe pricier, but definitely worth it.

Crystal and Jake said...

I have never made the acquaintance of Keens, but I to sing praises to the river sandle. My chaco's have got me through 6 summers now are are still looking great.

Ken and Amy said...

Good choice! I will also proudly say that I love my Keens!

amydear said...

Ah, summer shoes. I, too, prefer comfy ones. Stylish is fun in short doses, but I like to be able to wear a shoe all day. I think you and C-box probably look adorable in your matching kicks. Maybe I should try on a pair!? They were all the rage here two summers ago and I am not a fan of Crocs on my feet -- too wide.

Lanes said...

Of course I am a big fan of the sporty sandals. And I will attest to getting great shoes for your kids. You think it isn't worth it because they grow so fast but we got the girls their own Chacos last summer and they were the biggest dream ever, no complaining, not once. I'm so glad you found some you like.

Natalie said...

My feet and your feet sound like soul mates. I have had similar issues and could always use a good tip on comfy sandals. I will definitely be trying a pair this summer. Thanks.