Just after breakfast a month or so ago D said to me, "Something smelled like pickles and cheese this morning." Oops. I knew exactly who the culprit was. At 3:00 a.m. the night (morning?) before, I had awakened, feeling empty and sick. Barely coherent, I shuffled to the kitchen, pried open the fridge and, squinting against the offensively glaring fridge light, felt my way to a jar of dill gherkins and a container of cottage cheese. I only ate 2 pickles and a large spoonful of the cheese--just enough to quiet my grumbling stomach--but, too tired to bother brushing my teeth, I had snuggled back into my warm bed and drifted to sleep. I thought D would never know. I was mistaken.Cravings for me are nonexistent until the second trimester, at which point my appetite comes raging back and I am highly swayed by the power of suggestion. For instance, I craved egg salad for about a week, only because I saw someone eating egg salad on a TV show. When a craving hits, it's all I want (and practically all I eat) until I OD, usually within a week or so. Some of my most memorable cravings this pregnancy include: aforementioned pickles and cottage cheese (had to be in combination); lime rickeys; egg salad sandwiches; pasta salad (with artichoke hearts!); grapefruit; chocolate shakes (a standard for me through all three pregnancies); and fresh shrimp.
The shrimp was my first. After dropping Chatterbox off at preschool one day, Smidget and I did errands finishing, as usual, at Costco. That I-must-eat-something-now feeling hit me while there and the only thing I wanted was the $10 platter of fresh shrimp with cocktail sauce. I indulged, thinking I deserved it for getting through the past miserable three-ish months, and planned on eating some as soon as I got home. Several minutes later, however, as I sat in the parking lot waiting for the minutes to tick by before going in to grab my girl from preschool, the feeling hit me again full-force. I marched straight to the back of the Pilot, grabbed my shrimp, and sat myself in the driver's seat. I ate a dozen right then and finished off the entire package all by myself (no one in my family will touch them) within two short days. I felt a little silly, dining on shrimp in the parking lot, but it sure made my tummy happy. I did it again the following week, after which I decided this craving was too expensive to allow to continue. Thankfully, I'd had my fill anyway and was ready to move on to something more, shall we say, sugary?
Some cravings (like chocolate shakes) make perfect sense, while others are just strange. I wonder what's next for me? Hopefully something healthy. I've about exhausted the Easter chocolate and could really use a healthful boost. Any cravings you'd like to share? Maybe one will sound good to me!
9 comments:
This was really cute! I loved this post. Isn't is so weird what pregnancy does to us. I don't remember any specific cravings for mine, but I just remember being so so hungry, like I couldn't eat enough. Then I would just vomit it all back up though so it was dumb to even eat. Pregnancy has always been the best diet for me:> I wish I could be that way not pregnant! Can't wait to hear about more fun cravings!
I don't know if I should feel left out or not. I have sranched and screeched my brain (and others), but I have had no cravings. Unless of course you can count just being hungry.
This was a fun post. Here is my list.
Rootbeer, gallons of it
Gaterade
Smoothies
Apple Cider
Cookies- oh wait I always want those
meat, meat, meat- bring on the protein
I always crave egg salad sandwiches when I'm pregnant! And fruit, lots of fruit. Never pickles or cottage cheese. And never shrimp, although I loved the mental picture of you in the car, munching away. How about pita and hummus for your new craving? Salads with goat cheese crumbles? That's what I'm into lately.
Mmmm, pita and hummus. That DOES sound good. It's been crusty bread, mozzarella and chopped tomatoes tossed with olive oil and balsalmic vinegar for the past two days. My tongue is starting to rebel against the vinegar, though.
Anybody ever had funny tastebuds while pregnant? With Smidget I couldn't taste anything with one section of my taste buds for several months (can't remember which section it was anymore, I think it was sweet).
I am so with you on the cravings. I've been so sick though that they are pretty limited but I am constantly craving the sushi platter whenever I am at Costco. I have to get the fully cooked though, but I will admit to a few in-parking lot binges. Pickles though, no way. Actually the thought is making me a little queasy . . .
My first pregnancy: Taco Bell soft tacos and blue Listerine. I only gave into the taco craving twice (once I made Mike run down after midnight). Never gave into the listerine, but I certainly spent an unnatural amount of time staring at that huge bottle and wanting it so bad. It seemed that it would be so refreshing to gulp down!
Second pregnancy: chocolate cake and homemade strawberry ice cream.
Third: slurpees/slushees and wheat chex. I hardly ever actually had a slurpee, but it, once again, sounded so refreshing. Like it could wash all my nausea away. And I ate about 4 bowls of wheat chex a day all the way to a 55 pound weight gain. Let's just say Amelia is not lacking in the folic acid or calcium departments.
Shrimp? Gross! But whatever. Preganancy does strange.. things to you. But who am I to talk? Listerine? I guess I also ate a tunafish sandwich and tomato soup for lunch EVERYDAY when I was pregnant with Jake. Luckily there were no "consultants" around to warn me of the dangers of mercury poison...
Hilarious!!! I love your garden! Can't wait to have one someday! And good luck on the cravings!
Post a Comment