Thursday, March 6, 2008

ATCAAL

The above title is an acronym. Before I share its meaning with those of you who are feeling unenlightened, let me first explain the randomness of this post. While I was on the phone trying to figure out how to make a prior-year contribution to our HSA, I began to ponder the nature of acronyms. In the brief time I was on hold, (yes, I said brief, thank you Bank of America customer service--you could sure teach a thing or two to Delta) I came to the following conclusions:
  • acronyms can be useful
  • but first you have to figure out what they stand for (and no I can't tell you what HSA stands for, though I know what it is)
  • unfortunately there are so many acronyms in this world that they are beginning to pile up like unrecyclables in the junk yard, and finally
  • if you are the odd-one out in a gathering of professionals, acronyms may quickly become your arch nemesis
For instance, do you know what the acronyms CLAD or ELL stand for? Well, don't stop by a faculty meeting in a California school then. (ELL is California's version of ESL--more PC--agh! see, there's another one). So my acronymistic (yep, made that word up) title is short for: Acronyms Though Convenient Are Also Lame. I'm sticking with that opinion too, so don't even bother slamming me. It's all a little TMTH.

4 comments:

amydear said...

Health Savings Account, of course. Although I like your acronym better! Just figured out KWIM a while ago. Felt very smart when I did.

Polliwog said...

Oh, yeah, I DID know that. Just couldn't recall the info as I typed. What the heck is KWIM?

TMTH (I should have mentioned but couldn't find a way to do it without disrupting the "flow") is too much to handle, and I only know that because of watching Idol. See, TV is educational.

Lindydoggy said...

I'm glad someone else thinks that As are L.

Unknown said...

Just took some online traffic school and was tested on all sorts of acronyms (which I'm sure are very useful). I was feeling the same way.