Tonight for date night what did we do? You guessed it--dinner and a movie. Predictable, yes. Boring? Never! This evening was an extra special treat because we were with Jeremy and Talli (and another couple) celebrating JP's birthday. After dining at The Cheesecake Factory, we headed to a movie. Fortunately, we laughed through the whole thing. Unfortunately, it was NOT a comedy. Oops.I wholeheartedly offer my "RUNAWAY and DO NOT waste your precious, hard earned money!" recommendation for Vantage Point. In the interest of time (I should be preparing a lesson for the 3 year olds) and space (I've already filled my quota for long-winded blog entries this week), let's narrow it down to the most glaring problems:
- There is no plot, just a series of increasingly improbable events leading to the final scene where Forrest Whittaker blinks and sputters in a completely overacted attempt at relief and shock.
- There is no character development; no human aspect; no sympathy.
- Dennis Quaid is stiff and lame.
- There are gaping holes--pardon me; chasms-- in the "plot" which cannot be overcome through logic, only through mystical suspension of disbelief. I am generally pretty adept at such suspension, but this show pushed me way over the edge.
- The format (rewinding over and over to show different points of view) seemed like a good idea but was horribly executed, and left me with a "Groundhog Day" taste in my mouth, minus Bill Murray. Groundhog tastes yucky.
6 comments:
Thanks for saving me the money--I am now canceling my plans to see this on my next date night. However, you have now piqued my interest to the point where I don't know that I'll be able to resist renting this movie at some point :)
I am surprised you hated it so much. Keith and I found it to be enjoying. Oh well.
dodgeparty--That is interesting. I did ask D if he thought we would have enjoyed it more if we hadn't been sitting between the two comedians. He said probably not, we just wouldn't have laughed as much. So I'm not sure. You know how sometimes you notice things only because you have people pointing it out? For instance, I have probably prejudiced a bunch of people from liking it now. But really, if you think about it, not a single character was developed in any way--Dennis Quaid was (I think) the lead, but it was sure hard to tell. And why were these terrorists doing what they were doing? I never got that--some vague animosity toward the US, but no specific motivation. That bugged me. And where did those secret service guys who shot the Arab guy disappear to?
I'm glad to hear alternate views, though. :)
Isn't it so funny how we all have different perspectives? Ok, here's what I liked about it. It was different than what most movies do today. I really liked seeing the back stories of everyone and seeing the story of how the terrorists did it. But yes, the characters weren't developed enough. I thought the movie was a bit short and could have had a better ending. We generally like most movies though. I'll notice stuff too, but I am willing to let it go just to enjoy the movie.
Hmm, now I don't know if I want to see this movie or not! But I thought your review was very well written. How do you manage?
I, like you, cannot offer an opinion on the movie, as I have not had the "pleasure" to see it. Unfortunately, if I do, I will not have as good as a time, as I have no funny friends. Dollar movie? I say yes. I can either spend the dollar there, or give it away as a birthday present.
Post a Comment