These are scripture carrying cases for my girls. This is the first thing I've ever made from scratch--no pattern, no picture, just my own little brain. My inspiration came from a dusty memory of my friend Amy doing something similar a year or so ago, combined with my perusing of the family home evening manual last night. In it, there are some great suggestions for making family scripture study more meaningful for little ones. It suggests getting a set of scriptures for each child, even if they are too young to read them (as mine are). We had some of the inexpensive blue ones on the shelf waiting for missionary opportunities that, sadly, haven't yet presented themselves. I decided to set aside two of those for the girls. Then I remembered some fabric I bought a while back to make a ballet bag for Chatterbox. Since she stopped her dance class, that project went out the window, so today I put the fabric to good use. The pink plaid is a flannel and lines the inside of the case. You can't tell, but I experimented successfully with a couple of my machine's decorative stitches on the pocket and to attach the handles. I thought they turned out great. I didn't have the bright idea to put initials on until the second go-round though, so one has a handstitched initial on the back. (Don't tell her it's not as cute!)
I even whipped out some matching bookmarks with pink ribbon at the top as a bonus.
-----
In other crafty news, our two Easter projects this year are displayed below.
1) We made Bunny Baskets out of recycled water jugs. I just pulled out my scrap felt, craft glue, and miscellaneous supplies and did our best to create bunnies. It was fun. (My favorite is the cotton tail you can't see, and the cotton-stuffed cheeks.)
2) Since I was taking the trip to my family's house last weekend and all my siblings (but one) congregate at my mom's house, we made these paper eggs --one for each family member--and the basket to display them in (which I later taped up on my mom's fridge). I used my Creative Memories oval cutter to cut out a bunch of cardstock eggs in pastels, then pulled out stencils, stickers, and any Easter/spring embellishments and let Chatterbox go crazy. I also gave her a list of the 9 names and let her copy them and check them off. She loved it and it took her 5 days to do it. (Nice.)
It's nothing fancy, but the kids like it and that's what counts, right?
6 comments:
Hey! You figured out the bags. Yours are much cuter than mine. Nice work, crafty lady.
Those scripture totes are fabulous! I made one for Zoey out of a placemat last year that I thought was really cute, but those top it, and completely without a pattern! Way to go! Love the crafts. You are such a fun mom. It makes me feel so guilty I have been at the hospital so much and haven't done anything fun with my kids! You are the best!
Seriously, where do you find the time to do all these projects. I feel like I can't keep up with the house and yard work, not to mention we've been in our house for over a year and I still haven't created curtains for the the living room!
Nice work. You are a wonderful mom. Congratulations on girl number three. I know how three in a row goes and I love it!
Nice work! They look great. That zigzagging around the letters is pretty tricky for me, but yours looks great.
Having seen them in person I can tell everyone else they really are as cute as they look. Isn't Em clever?!
Post a Comment