Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Four Year Old Ponders the Easter Bunny

Below is an excerpt of a conversation Chatterbox and I had several days ago:
C: Mama, is the Easter Bunny real?

Me: (thinking, What?! How do I respond to that question? I thought I had a few years to worry about this kind of holiday-spoiling curiosity! Thus, scrambling for an appropriate response and not feeling comfortable lying to her--) Um, well, er, I haven't actually ever seen the Easter Bunny, but I got baskets with candy each Easter and my mom told me they were from the Easter Bunny.

C: (taking that in and appearing satisfied, she thinks a moment and then asks--) Mama, when does the Easter Bunny come? In the night, like Santa, or in the daytime?

M: (again, stalling, not wanting to lock myself into some Easter Bunny family tradition for eternity--) Well, I guess he comes whenever he hops around to it.

C: Oh. Okay. (She is quiet and I continue emptying the dishwasher.)

Several moments pass in silence.

C: (In a confident, I-have-figured-this-whole-mystery-out tone of voice:) Well, mama, if bunnies are nocturnal, then he probably comes in the night. But if bunnies are not nocturnal, then he probably comes in the day! (A big, triumphant grin lights her face.)
Now, who can argue with that logic? But since when is the Easter Bunny a "he"? By my experience and subsequent calculations, the Easter Bunny is most definitely feminine. It appears I have some work to do.

9 comments:

Emily said...

I love these kind of conversations because you can almost hear the gears turning inside their little heads...smarty pants...I don't think I knew what nocturnal meant until the 4th grade or something.

amydear said...

Don't let Chatterbox read this! We've decided not to have the Easter Bunny at our house, male or female. Keeping Santa real was hard enough. J and H get a few small things from Mom and Dad, though, because it's fun and I don't want them to feel left out. J is kind of curious why Santa can bring us presents, but the Easter Bunny can't. Whatever! It's all out of the bag soon enough for her anyway. I hope you have a hoppy Easter, bunny and all.

Erin said...

I thought the Easter Bunny was a boy???

Polliwog said...

I'm sure the Easter Bunny is, technically, male. My point is that I am the one who shops for the candy and gifts and basically the only one who really cares if we have Easter traditions at all. (Spoiler alert) I AM the Easter Bunny, and I AM feminine, hence my conclusion.

Angie said...

That's awesome. Chatterbox is getting to be very bright and will be up there with you soon! You will have to be careful with that one. In my house growing up the Easter bunny was a he. I don't think you can look at it as lying to them, but simply allowing them to have some fun childhood traditions and they can find out about it when they find out about Santa. I personally don't think there is any harm in it. Are you going to allow the tooth fairy too?

Anonymous said...

The Easter Bunny is definitely female at our house, although we call him a he for tradition sake. Santa at our house has always mostly been my mom (because she is the spoiler) so when child 1 first realized who Santa was he began referring to her as Nana Claus which we love and think is so funny. Child 3 (girl) finally realized this past Christmas at 10 (a late bloomer I know) the truth about Santa I asked her and child 1 if they were glad they believed about Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and they both ecstatically said they did. That has made me confident that the traditions are lies but wonderful, innocent childhood experiences. Besides they have to grow up all too fast soon enough. Let them be cynical later. I am so glad I have 2 at home that still believe. Yes her twin Child 2 and child 4 still both believe! I love it!

amydear said...

So I hope I didn't come off sounding like a Scrooge. I just haven't been able to maintain the lore of the Easter Bunny (my parents must have not spun enough tales and K's were too practical) so I had to ditch the tale due to lack of background knowledge. There's so much more to the fable of Santa, and I've perfected that one. And we love the Tooth Fairy! She brings money; SO practical and always appreciated. Maybe I should pull some teeth!

Cheri said...

All so funny. Don't you LOVE the look of pride and pleasure in your kids eyes when they use a big word like that. It always makes me laugh. And one more thing - what a cute picture. It is the clearest I have ever seen C-box as you and Smidget as D. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I can't spell. I meant to say aren't lies! Ugh sorry, Happy Easter!