Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A reunion of sorts

I met up with my long-lost friend, Exercise, yesterday for an early-morning tryst. It had been 8 weeks since our last contact of any sort, which is truly embarrassing for me to admit. However, after one too many losing battles with the Easter candy, I finally was able to shame myself into waking up in the morning. And I was oh-so glad I did!

I dusted off my iPod and was soon listening to my music, as opposed to Scripture Scouts, Elmo, or Barney. I felt energy immediately seeping through my veins, and I couldn't bear to take the headphones out for a moment throughout the entire workout, even during the 30 minute dvd I did. I just clumsily made the moves work with my music. That was one joyous aspect of the morning. I still have my marathon mix there, so there were lots of great memories coming with the tunes.

I'd also forgotten the calm of waking to greet the sun; walking around the yard in the quiet early hours; having time to meditate before the kids are clamoring for breakfast.

D was up exercising too, and though neither of us are much for chatting first thing in the morning (let's face it, D is rarely much for chatting), it was pleasant to be in the same room, just being together.

I couldn't quite keep myself from running, though (I knew that would happen). I kept it to a couple of minutes every song and felt okay. Running again, even so minimally, felt amazing.

I'd like to say this is the beginning of a new era for me. I hope it is. I did it again this morning, but it was decidedly less magical. Still, when I overcome my natural instinct (to cuddle up in my flannel blanket and sleep the morning away) I feel much better all day--not so much about how I look (pregnancy sort of rules out that reward), but certainly about what I can do. And I truly do love being fit, so I think I'll keep at it. Oh, and I also love Easter candy--but that's another topic.

8 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

I so needed to read this post today. Last night I sort of lost a battle between my will and a huge pepperoni pizza and cheesy breadsticks. Then today I re-lived the whole ordeal at lunch-time, which is when I finally decided that it's probably time to renew the gym pass that I conveniently allowed to lapse a couple months ago... I'm looking forward to my own little reunion tomorrow morning!

Paige said...

I needed to read this, too. I have been avoiding my friend Gym. She is a great friend. She is always there for me when I need her. She always makes me feel better about myself. She always pushes me to do my best. But she can be a bit needy. I have thought about her often, but I needed some time alone, without her. Now I think I need to rekindle that friendship. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

Anonymous said...

Polliwog - give me your motivation for exercise! Come be my personal trainer! I will exchange preschool teaching for personal training since we seem to equally loathe what the other one loves! JK! Really though create for me a beginning workout plan and I will love you forever! No, I will anyway!

Crystal and Jake said...

Seriously! I don't see a point in working out until Cadbury mini eggs are off the shelves!

Susie said...

And that is exactly why I wait until the day before Easter to buy our candy. Because I'll end up repurchasing a supply at that point anyway!
I'm glad I'm not the only with Easter candy issues. And glad for you that you found your old friend. :)

Emily said...

Reunions of this sort are always a good thing. Between vacations, etc...I think its been over 3 weeks since I have been to the gym. I need to get to it again.

PS So...was David cuter than ever last night? I felt bad for him (forgetting the lyrics) but he is just so dang adorable.

Polliwog said...

Oh, I was dying when he forgot the words. Poor kid! I voted 8 times before the busy signals started and I gave it up. I'm watching it now; I'm a little worried for him, but I think there are a few who really stink, so hopefully they'll go first. (Country girl? Pretty boring girl?)

DawnTreader said...

Exercise is overrated.