I thought three and a half days without my girls would do me in, emotionally speaking.
Nope.
Of course, I thought about them (occasionally) and wondered what they were doing (once or twice). Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed taking care of one single person--me! Amazingly, I could shower and get ready for the day right when I got out of bed instead of having to sneak away two hours after awakening. I could munch when and on what I chose without having to first prepare two lunches (using my most convincing voice to assure the little people that they wanted to eat what I had chosen to prepare). I could read. And read. And shop!! My mom and I had a fabulous girls' day, spending an hour at a quilting shop, going out to lunch, then updating my maternity wardrobe at The Gap. Moms are great.
And being a mom is great, too. But after 4 years, it was nice to take a weekend off.
But this morning, I gathered my little pink girls up onto my lap, held them close, inhaled the sweet scent of their freshly shampooed hair, and felt piercing gratitude for their presence in my life. "I love you," I told them. "I yub you too, Mommy," answered my little, spunky one--the stingy-with-her-affection child. I guess that's her way of admitting to missing me. And I truly missed them too. (A little)
6 comments:
aw, so fun to get a break. I just did that too (of course, without Keith seeing as how I don't have kids). I went for a wedding and it was a lot of fun. I was able to do girls day every day!
I am glad you could get away, but it's also good to have you back.
I am a little jealous I must admit. After yesterday, and the eating and sleeping wars that continue, all I can think is that a nice well at least 3 hr break would be very emotionally good for me.
I, like you don't have any problem leaving my kids for a few days. I think it's something we need to do to feel like ourselves again and then when we come home we can appriciate our kids even more. I'm glad you were able to get away before the baby comes because then it's a long time until "me" time again!
So, where's the new haircut pic? I'm glad you're home and well-appreciated. I had no idea you were going by yourself. What fun! It's been two years since I've gone anywhere by myself. Definitely time!
One of my happiest moments was when my oldest became a teenager so he could babysit for me! There is nothing like those moments of escape and rejuvination! It makes us better mommies! I am so glad you got away and especially glad you got to have a fun time with your mom.
Post a Comment