Saturday, May 17, 2008

From the mouth of an insomniac

Being a mother naturally means being awakened on occasion by children who've had nightmares, need to go potty, are teething, or just don't feel like sleeping. (Grrrr...) I know there are moms out there who get by on little to no sleep, but I am not one of those people. I have always needed LOTS of sleep, which I find to be my superhero weakness, like cryptonite to Superman.

Anyway, I would estimate that I have now enjoyed at least a 6 month stretch where my late-night awakenings have been infrequent. Once a week, maybe. Now that I can handle. Generally, I go right back to sleep and all is well. Obviously, having an infant is going to cramp my style, but I am prepared for that. I still have a couple of months, right?

Wrong. What I was NOT prepared for is the insomnia which is now becoming something of a thorn in my side. Yes, it is approximately 4 am at my house and I am wide awake thanks to the nightmare of a four year old and my own buzzing brain. Prior to getting on the computer, I laid awake in bed, trying with all my might to stop thinking, for 45 minutes, never fading. I would probably still be there, if not for the heartburn which decided to join the insomnia. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to indulge in a bowl of cereal, because I am also, suddenly, ravenously hungry. (But I really don't want to brush my teeth again and I'm too tired to make up my mind.) Being pregnant stinks.

Also, did I mention it's 103 degrees here all of a sudden? Just to torture me, no doubt. This entire week is a roasting oven. I finally had to break down and turn on the A/C before I swelled even more than I already have. Gotta love the swelling.

So that's just a little griping to lighten the mood. Thanks for listening to the rantings of an insomniac. I hope there won't be too many more of these kinds of posts.

10 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

I usually have no problem sleeping, but when I'm pregnant if I'm awoken in the night I always end up awake and obsessing over something. I don't know if it's because I'm sleeping less soundly or because something about the pregnancy makes my mind more obsessive. In other words, I feel your pain.

amydear said...

Hey, I spent many a sleepless night last summer and had no blogging to turn my mind to. I totally agree with this post, right down to the "should I eat something or not" part. And the 100 degree weather does not sound very nice. Hope it comes our way as 80 degree weather.

Emily said...

I totally feel your pain....for 3 years now! I used be the pro sleeper too. I love the kryptonite to superman comparison....it is SO true. Anyways, try taking a benedryl as soon as you wake up. It helps you go back to sleep but lets you wake up 2-3 hours later when the kiddo's do. If you need anymore tips, email me.

Ken and Amy said...

Oh the joys of being pregnant...so sorry!

Bill and Tara said...

I am not pregnant but it is 3:45 AM and I am up planning my lesson for YW tomorrow (today in a few hours).

Liz said...

I am so glad I am not pregnant anymore! Eat the bowl of cereal now because after the baby comes you will wish you could eat in the middle of the night but you can't because you still have 25 lbs. to loose. Plus you might get the bowl of cereal but,the baby will probably wake up and by the time you get back to your cereal it is gross and soggy. So eat up!

Susie said...

I loved the last few months of pregnancy! Until my third one. I never got insanely uncomfortable, I fulfilled my voracious appetite to my heart's content, and I slept like a baby. (oh, and isn't that the most ridiculously incorrect expression?) The third time around, I was up every night for the last 3 months.
It seems that when we need the rest the most, the Lord thinks it strangely funny to deprive us of our much-needed sleep. Who knows though? Maybe your sweet little newborn will sleep through the night from the get-go. It does happen! At least, that's what I've heard...

Angie said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry that you are having insomnia, that's never fun. I hope it passes soon and that you are able to get some sleep before the baby keeps you awake all of the time.

Courtney said...

I hear you too. The end of my third pregnancy was HORRIBLE!! It was so hard to sleep. Good luck making it to the end. We still wish Chatterbox was around for Emma.

Maren Hansen said...

The insomnia is a stage I always go through in pregnancy too and HATE! No matter how much I exercise, eat, etc, I cannot get through a pregnancy without going through this one. Let's hope that it ends quickly for you--you have to get some good sleep now before sleep becomes impossible for belly-size reasons... :)