It's so quiet here--as I type I can hear the hum of the fridge and the buzzing of a fly stuck near a window. It's almost 11 pm, and it's been this quiet since just after 9. It's creeping me out a little, actually.
Here's the explanation: the girls have been begging to go camping. Begging, I'm telling you. We tried taking them to REI and letting them play with the camp chairs and climb in and out of tents, but that only whet their already voracious camping appetites. With the state of my back (sciatica) there was no way in--well, you get the picture--that I was going camping. And for some strange reason, D wasn't too hot on the idea of taking them out on a rugged trip himself (wimp!). The solution? A back yard campout! Genius.
So, the poor fellow (D) is out in the tent, just outside the glass door, snoozing away with his two little girlies who, luckily, are as pleased as can be to be on a "camp out" at last. (Shh! Don't tell them it's not the real thing!) Smidget dressed for the occasion--in a frilly black, silver, and red tutu leotard combo. We grilled hot dogs, then Grandma and Grandpa joined us as we roasted smores (also on the grill), then I took the kids inside to change into pj's and brush teeth while D got the beds all set. We tucked them in, then I read Peter Pan by flashlight in the tent. We sang a few songs (Never Smile at a Crocodile and A Camping We Will Go were the two favorites) and D snapped a couple of photos, after which I said sayonara.
Do we get the Lazy Parent Award or what? Perhaps the Clever Parent Award would be more fitting, though. After all, if the kids don't know the difference, what's the harm in cutting a few corners?
13 comments:
Hey, I think it's genius!!!
We might do the same thing if it weren't for the dang MOSQUITOES that invade our yard at dusk!
I too am looking forward to creative camping instead of the real thing. I like camping, or use to until I realized that it is just lots of dirt and danger. Camping- translation you pack and prepare all day just to spend a few hours in the dirt, to come home and spend all day cleaning up...hmmmm? what it the draw???
That's awesome and very clever of you! I think it's a great thing to do while they're still young and haven't figured it out yet. That was nice of D to agree to stay the night out there with them too.
My kids love to camp in the backyard so I will dub you Clever Parents! Personally I hate camping and will find any excuse not to go. I am so glad father and sons outings do not include moms!
We just bought some sweet sleeping bags at the REI sale and are dying to use them. Will D take us camping in the back yard?
You are making real memories no matter if you are "real camping" or not. The image of the tutu killed me. We are in different worlds you and I.
You have a great hubby! Very clever idea! Hope you enjoyed your quite night alone inside the house!
I vote Clever Parent Award! I love reading your blogs...you are the best writer. Sounds like everyone had a great time, so who cares where it was, right?
When,where and why are you moving?
Growing up my family camped a lot and really I can't remember noticing much of a difference between "real" camping and the backyard. The way I see it everybody wins! (well, that is if D enjoyed it)
That's the kind of campout that I enjoy! I end up coming inside to sleep in my own bed in the middle of the night. I feel bad for the husbands! Well, I think kev actually likes it. You are a fun mom!!
If I were you, I'd avoid getting that back problem fixed! You can play that card over and over for the next several years, especially for the real, grown-up camp-outs. Just kidding! What fun parents you are!
Hope you're up for some "real" camping next year some time! I'm going to have to pass this idea along to Kyle, but I'll have to wait until we live in the house with the fenced backyard. You've always been an exceptionally clever person.
Camping at its finest...love it.
Post a Comment