And so, to document ....
This pregnancy has been a very different experience from the other 3. They all went along about the same way, getting progressively more difficult (uncomfortable and exhausting) with each child. I had monstrous heartburn from the get-go with all of them, some sciatic pain around the second trimester, morning sickness in the first trimester, average weight gain . . . pretty boring stuff. Other than the fact that I am RH negative and test positive for group B strep, it's all been very routine. And if you remember, I delivered Queenie while in Utah (Dad was her doctor) so I never even went to any doctor visits. That was sweet!!
Contrast that with this pregnancy, which started out a lot easier than my last three. First-trimester nausea wouldn't set in until afternoon and lasted all night, but my mornings felt pretty good. Round about the second trimester, I ended up with some nasty bronchitis and was coughing my brains out (not fun with baby on the bladder, let me tell you!) This aggravated my sciatic nerve pain and between that and wetting my pants seven times a day I was pretty frustrated. My parents came for a visit and Dad got me on a z-pack; things cleared up; we moved on with (still) a pretty easy pregnancy. Then I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Luckily this occurred the week after I went to Hawaii, but it's pretty much been a game changer. I am now eating more carefully than I have in my entire life, writing down everything I eat in a journal, taking blood sugar levels 4 times a day, counting every carbohydrate I consume, and steadily losing weight, which I suppose is an added bonus. I have gained 16 pounds this pregnancy, which is unheard of for me. I have to see an endocrinologist every other week, plus go in for Non-Stress tests twice a week, so the young women in the ward are making some serious money off of me! Throw in the mix some false labor contractions (those actually hurt, darn it!) and deep exhaustion (thanks to anemia) and the past few weeks have been something of a blur.
Monday afternoon, I suddenly had a burst of energy. I have no idea where it came from, but it lasted me until Wednesday afternoon, and I was able to get all my floors mopped--I won't even tell you how long it had been--my whole master bedroom rearranged (new furniture came Tuesday), my closet all cleaned out and organized, and the house vacuumed and dusted and looking overall pretty clean.
I hit a wall last night and now feel like I'm moving through mud again. I could sleep all day. Creating a new life is downright exhausting, especially while trying to care for three other little lives and make them meaningful when all I want to do is retreat for a while. We are counting down in earnest now, though, and life will all change again. I hope I'm ready!
5 comments:
I'm sad for you. I'm sad in general. These last few days are the hardest. These darn kids. Why don't they listen to their mothers who beg them to come out already. People keep telling me how genius I am to have planned the last two weeks of pregnancy with the hottest two weeks of the year.... yup. We are genius.
Just reading this is giving me a little post traumatic stress. Reminds me of my summer last year! Felt terrible most of the time, couldn't get anything done. Now I can't get anything done because I have 4 kids! : ) I am thinking of you. Just think -- you'll have the baby weight off in no time. 16 pounds is awesome.
Unlike most things in life, pregnancy actually gets harder with practice! Although I suppose luck has been on your side with this one, even if the circumstances (three other little ones, and, I hate to say it... the age factor) are not in your favor. Only two weeks left! You can do it!
So excited for you all. Remember some of those same feelings. Sorry for you, you are nearly there. Miss you.
Oh pregnancy...how I hate you. :) I will pray for an early arrival of this little guy. We can't wait to meet him.
PS Ges diabetes sounds terrible. But only 16 pounds gained? May be worth it. ;)
Post a Comment