Have you seen those cash for gold commercials? They are on all the time in my neck of the woods. I marvel in amazement that anybody would listen to the cheesy spokesman and believe that they'll get a fortune for their garbage jewelry in a "safe, easy transaction". What a joke. But really, people must be doing it, because the commercials continue running. And running.
Another commercial I loathe is for finally fast.com which is purportedly a breakthrough computer program that will make your slow PC ("my email takes forever to load!") into a zippin' monster. Ha ha ha. The irony is that, though the commercial specifically says it's for PC's, the computers used in the ad are Apples. Hmmm . . .
It makes me angry, really, though. I feel like the targets of these commercials have to be a) elderly and thus trusting and (at least where computers are concerned) less experienced b) ignorant or c) desperate.
Oh, which reminds me. Yesterday I watched Oprah (for the first time in years, actually) and it was a rerun show about budgeting and being money smart. Of course Oprah and the CNBC correspondent who began the show with her were using drastic phraseology, such that it really put some fear into me--and maybe that is warranted in this economy. Fine, I have no complaints. What made me so angry were the commercials that were running in the middle of the show. Oprah sat and talked about how irresponsible lenders had led us to this crisis and we all needed to take accountability for our spending. True. Then a commercial for money lending despite your history of poor credit came on. "Do you own any property? Then we will lend you lots of money. Bad credit? No worries!" Next came a commercial for Mor Furniture for less. No money down, no interest until 2012 and we pay your sales tax.
Interesting. I thought to myself, "The economic attitude in this country is not going to change quickly. That's for sure." But I would think they could at least screen their commercials more carefully. The joke continues.
Now I'm off to outfit my entire house in new furniture. No money down, no payments and no interest until 2012? I can't afford NOT to!!
(I'm really not.)
9 comments:
Wow, your blog is full of adventures. I haven't looked at it in awhile. I hope you are feeling better from your strep throat. I know that this may sound backwards, but thank goodness for those bad days, because it makes the good days all the better.
If the finallyfast.com and cash4gold commercials were people, I would make out with both until my lips were bleeding. I <3 them. "My computer is finally fast! Finally Fast dot com!!!!!"
So awesome.
That creepy guy (aka dolphinsbarn) is NOT my brother.
My favorite part about the cash for gold thing is all the people who seem to have HANDFULS of gold jewelry lying (laying?) around. I have a wedding ring and some small gold hoops. That's it. How much cash will you give me? $5? : ) I guess I'd better get me a thick gold chain or something.
Hilarious, amy. Bet those guys from the 80's (right decade?) are really cashing in!
Oh, and I will send you $2.50 for that gold. IF it's real. Don't forget to insure it. You're gonna make a killing!
The crazy thing about the gold commercials is you are actually blindly sending in gold to someone who is going to give virtually nothing for it just in the small chance maybe it is worth something. They get the last of anything you have of worth and then make a profit off of you. It's gotta be desperation in people, it's like gambling.
Hey, I still want that website from you about the coupons. I can't stand the commercials either.
Hi, its Cheri's husband Mike. Your post made me think of this video. It is kind of funny, but also kind of sad that money management is so difficult for people.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/1389/saturday-night-live-dont-buy-stuff#s-p9-sa-i0
Miguel-so glad you said who you were--I was wondering who the heck 'Miguel' was :)
The video is hilarious. Perfect with the post--I should have put that up. Thanks.
Post a Comment