Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fame and fortune


My youngest sister, Suzy, is ultra talented. For some reason, I haven't really bragged her up before now, but I think the time has most definitely come. She is 19 and is currently in her second year of college. She's at BYU this semester, but spent the past semester in Boston at Berklee School of Music. I'd never heard of it, but apparently it's the greatest in jazz music education. Even John Mayer went there 'for a minute' they say, and James Taylor's brother Livingston was one of Suzy's professors. Sadly it was too expensive to spend more than a semester, but she loved every minute of her time there.

Back at BYU she is still playing trumpet with and is a vocalist for Synthesis. She'll be touring Europe this summer with them. Two years ago she won the Downbeat magazine high school vocalist of the year award. She's sung with lots of jazz greats, most impressive to me being Jeff Coffin of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (and now with Dave Mathews)--only because I've actually met him and have heard of his group. They've won a grammy or something. (Help with the details, Suzy!)

As far as her world is concerned, I'm pretty illiterate, so I'll leave it at that. But you should definitely help her out be becoming a fan of hers on facebook. (You can even buy her self-produced cd which is awesome!) And you can see a little video of her here. (Make sure to watch from 2:30 to 3:00) It's a little old, but you'll get the idea. Just imagine her 2 years more amazing and you'll have it.

6 comments:

amydear said...

And she's so sweet, too. I wish I could have spent more time being her roomie this summer, you know, before the stomach flu hit her. I would love to hear her sing!

Susie said...

That was fantastic!

Crystal said...

We were kindly gifted the CD for chrismtas-and love it. Goooo Suzy... you rock.... literally!

Ming said...

Yea for Suze! I'd never seen that Good Day Utah clip...that was awesome! She's always been a star.

Cluff Family said...

I listen to her CD every morning as I clean up the house. I just can;t believe that is our little Suze. I think your family got the amazing talent gene.

Emily said...

Awesome! I see talent runs in the family, eh? I will keep my ears open for her!