Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What's for dinner?

I dedicate this to my sil Mindy, who I adore, and who wants some good recipes. Hope this helps with your funk.

Do what I did and start by making this cornbread from mykitchencafe.blogspot.com (all-time favorite recipe site) and do NOT forget to make the honey butter too. Mmmmmmm .... While the cornbread is cooking (35 min) you can throw together this amazing soup! (It's very quick)

I just made this last night and it's going in my list of keepers. Some of you are familiar with the "Favorites" cookbook (from the Make-a-wish foundation) and this is from that book, page 65. At first it's a little off-putting because there are quite a few ingredients, but don't be fooled. It's easy-peasy and oh-so delicious. Also, I made it without the Tabasco, and even so it's a teensy bit spicy (and by teensy bit, I mean only the pickiest of child eaters will notice, but they WILL notice). My Chatterbox just picked out the chicken, wiped it off with paper towels, and munched it right down. (I just re-read that paragraph and am embarrassed by all of the kids' words that have crept into my vocabulary. But I don't have time to edit.)

Mexican Corn Chowder

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 c chopped onion
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tb butter
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 c hot water
1/2 - 1 tsp cumin
2 cups half and half
2 cups shredded Mont Jack cheese
1 (14 3/4 oz) can cream-style corn
1 (4-oz) can diced green chilies, undrained
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 med tomato, chopped
fresh cilantro

In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, brown chicken, onion and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Dissolve the bouillon in hot water. Add to pan along with cumin; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add half and half, cheese, corn, chilies, and Tabasco sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Stir in chopped tomato. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.

What I did differently--I used the chicken tenders from Costco, defrosted them mostly, then just chopped them up; I always use the pre-cut garlic in a jar; and instead of bouillon cubes I buy the chicken paste from Costco. I omitted the Tabasco and cilantro (didn't have them).

Leave a comment if you try this. I'd love to hear what you think!

6 comments:

Susie said...

I love the "what I did differently" paragraph. Rarely is there a recipe that I don't modify to suit my own (and my family's tastes). Sounds delish, we'll have to try it. Although I will be sure to have cilantro on hand - love the stuff!

Cheri said...

You are my angel in an apron.

This dark rainy day is begging for chowder.

Emily Sullenger said...

I'm going to try it. I need you to fiz up my blog...I love the new look, but I have no idea how to do it!

Polliwog said...

Who are you, Miss Bountiful? And do you cook dinner often?

Cluff Family said...

I have no idea how I signed in as Miss Bountiful. She is one of Courtneys friends. Weird. Sorry. Any way I really like the look of your new blog. I need a tutor! Glad to see you back in computer land. ps Need your address. Love you!

Polliwog said...

ah, so relieved to know I am not being cyber stalked by a teenager with a family-cooking fetish!