Abelskievers are a Danish dish--D's ancestors and mine are both Danish, so it seems a fitting way to remember our ancestry. On occasion, we've shared our tradition with friends and family. Today we were lucky enough to have Mark and Elisabeth, D's brother and wife, hanging out with us. D insists that the "proper" way to eat them is to put a little butter on top (do not break it open) and then to dip them in powdered sugar. I was surprised to learn that his brother had a different method. He likes to open it a tiny bit and stuff his filling inside. I just break them open, much to my husband's dismay (I like to see him shake his head in disgust). I also like lemon juice with butter and sugar, or alternatively nutella.
You have to find a special pan, which can be quite elusive. I had the best luck on amazon.com, though Williams Sonoma sometimes has them around the holidays. You also need a wood skewer for turning them, though today we had trouble finding ours and found that a tiny saw from our pumpkin carving kit was functional. (How's that for innovative?) Other than that equipment, you'll need the recipe (below) and the ingredients. If you ever give it a try, let me know what you think.
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp bkg soda
3/4 tsp bkg pwdr
2 1/2 c buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
3 Tb melted butter
1 Tb sugar
2 Tb lemon juice
1. Separate eggs and beat whites until very stiff. Set aside. 2. Mix sugar and egg yolks and beat until very white. 3. Add buttermilk, butter, and lemon juice to sugar and egg yolks. 4. Slowly add dry ingredients to liquid. 5. Fold in egg whites with spoon. 6. Grease pan. 7. Fill a little over full and turn 1/4 turns with a long wooden skewer until spheres are full. (It's a little tricky to get the heat on the pan just right. After some practice, you'll get it down.)
6 comments:
Your mom was telling me about these a few years ago and ever since, I have wanted to try them. Yours look beautiful and delicious. Thanks for the instructions and recipe!
We were walking through Bed Bath and Beyond the other day and they had the pan there. They were calling them something else, but I thought of you. Yours do look yummy. Wish I was there to try one.
I was thinking about you and your abelskievers all day yesterday. Yum! Thanks for sharing them with us one conference. I had Jan over for baked french toast. Also good. You're lucky you got a Jan comment. I have yet to receive one. I'll have to get a cool ableskiever pan when I have a bigger kitchen.
That's what those are! I have a vague childhood memory of eating abelskievers. I have asked my mom a few times about the round pancake like breakfast and she would give me a confused look every time. Thanks for the clarity and the recipe!
Anna
You know, Jeremy Conlin used to extol the glories of Abelskievers to us all the time. He finally made some for us, and they were delectable! Hmm, with my totally Danish name, it's my duty to invest in a pan probably... :) You know, I think I may have seen some before, only they were called Popover pans.
Okay, so I want to get your thoughts on a book I saw you are reading: A Great and Terrible Beauty. I started that one and couldn't finish it--something about it was weird. Let me know what you think. Also, have you read the Kite Runner? If so, have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns? :)
maren
I haven't actually attempted A Great and Terrible Beauty. I just picked up a bunch from the library and posted them all that day. I'll let you know if I can get into it.
YES! I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns even better than The Kite Runner. What amazing books!
Post a Comment