Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Close Call

I almost killed myself yesterday afternoon. I was hanging the "Birthday Banner" which I made a few months ago with my friends in Michigan. I was preparing for a big birthday dinner I was making for D's dad. Stupidly, I chose to stand on a folding chair. I knew it wasn't the sharpest move when I did it, but folding chairs are so enormously easier to move from place to place, so I didn't think too much more about it. I dragged the chair over next to the wall; it was kind of shoved up against the computer desk on one side, a lamp on the other, and a reclining chair directly behind. I'm sure you see what's coming here, so I'll get to the point. I stepped just a tad too far back on the chair, which started to fold. I quickly shifted my weight to keep that from happening. Though I kept the chair from falling, I had no such luck with myself. I lost balance and, after reaching for the recliner, which rocked away under my hand, I somehow ended up going over all the obstacles and landing flat on my back with a thump about 3 feet away. (You can just see the open space in the photo). I still can't picture exactly how that occurred. Amazingly, though the wind was knocked out of me, I was fine. I went on to cook that birthday dinner too: pan-fried chicken, mashed new potatoes, a creamy chicken gravy (not healthy, but the Birthday Boy's favorites), ginger carrots, rolls, with a green salad, applesauce muffins and a homemade cherry pie from D's mom. I guess I was meant to be around a while longer.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Hey Em,

I saw you're reading "Gilead." What do you think? I read it a few months ago and thought the writing was absolutely beautiful. I said to Dan, "for the first time since writing my thesis this book makes me feel like writing an essay." I checked out "Housekeeping," by the same author, and didn't enjoy it nearly as much. I love reading thoughtful, poetic writing.

Glad you're still alive... : )

Susie said...

Isn't it remarkable that some people get to walk away from a potentially catastrophic event relatively unscathed and others just have to miss the bottom step on the stairs and sprain an ankle (no names mentioned)? I'm glad luck was on your side.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're ok. My worst fall yet was down an entire flight of stairs; it was 8 years ago at my in-laws house; they still remind me of it whenever they get a chance. :)

Crystal and Jake said...

So sad we missed the birthday bash! Hope you all have a great Halloween