Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Controversy


I wrote an enormously long post last night about an issue that's been bothering me. But later, I felt that it could have been perceived as offensive, or that my intent could have been misunderstood. It's still bothering me, though, so I am going to make a simple statement on a very complicated issue, which I've received multiple emails about.

I have read lots of Philip Pullman's books, including The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass (known collectively as His Dark Materials). I didn't know anything about Pullman at the time. I read the books as fictional adventure stories. And I liked them a lot. I think Pullman is a masterful writer and I have been both inspired and entertained at various times by his works.

I've since heard some things about this author's supposed motives and views on religion and there seems to exist a campaign to keep people from seeing the movie coming out at Christmas time. I don't agree with Pullman's philosophies. Some of the things I read are troubling. But I'm also bothered by this mass attack; many participants haven't even read the books.

Here are some questions I've been asking myself. I'll let you think about your own answers:
1. Why this particular book? There are lots of books that I think have much more objectionable, or at least more overt and graphic, material than do these.

2. Is it more important what an author meant by what he/she wrote or what we take from it?
one thought on this: "The meaning of a story emerges in the meeting between the words on the page and the thoughts in the reader's mind" (a quote by Pullman).

3. Do we generally research an author's religion before choosing to read his/her books?

4. Where is all of this controversy stemming from?

5. Why is it only coming now, when the books have been out for many years?

I'm still back and forth on this. It's kind of spoiled my innocent enjoyment of the books. Here is my opinion, as it is currently formed--

There is, in much of what we read, ideas that we don't share. That is the point of critical reading. We filter, we question, we solidify our own beliefs. I read for enjoyment, yes, but also to challenge new ideas and myself.

If you'd like to learn more ...

wikipedia on Pullman
His Dark Materials trilogy
Philip Pullman's webpage
Far From Narnia
BBC article on same (Many of the opinions in the debate could apply now)

5 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

I'm so glad you wrote this (and the original post)! I had not heard of this author or series before I started getting the forwarded emails, so it's good to be reminded that there are other sides of the story

Maren Hansen said...

If there is one thing I've learned, it's that everyone has a different take on media. A movie I love may be completely offensive to another. I guess that is the beauty of the Spirit and the guidelines in our lives that can guide us to things that will be inspirations and uplifting for us personally. I'm glad you posted your feelings on the books.

Polliwog said...

I agree, Maren. I take no issue with people being offended or not enjoying Pullman's books. Everybody's going to take something different away from literature. My problem is more with the sudden and sensational nature of the email campaign. Oh, and the bandwagon part of it all. :)

Courtney said...

I read a column that said, "Just because J.K. Rowling says Dumbledore's gay, after the books are finished, doesn't mean he is." Of course he's referring to the idea that there is more to literature than an author's ideas or intent. I haven't read the Pullman books either, but I agree that it's always good to really look into an issue before going too far in passing along opinions. Good for Em, once again.

DawnTreader said...

Right on, Killer.