Friday, October 5, 2007

It's the little things

I've been waiting nearly 10 years for some canisters. It seems like such a small thing, which is probably why it's taken this long. I mean, for such a small thing, canisters can be pretty pricey. They've been something on my list of "wants", but they've never quite achieved the much coveted "need-it-enough-to-buy-it" status. Recently, with money being somewhat less tight (by which I mean we actually have an in-come instead of solely an out-go) I have begun a canister hunt somewhat more earnestly. Still, nothing quite struck my fancy and so I waited.

D, actively aware of my quest, happened upon some at Costco yesterday and phoned me with the details. Sight unseen, I approved the purchase (the price was too good to pass up and we all know how things at Costco can disappear forever in a matter of moments). And so, tonight I am the proud owner of a shiny new canister set. (The photo doesn't do them justice--they have a clear glass lid so you can see through the tops and come with varying sized scoops.) I washed them tenderly and filled them lovingly and chose their spot earnestly. I view them every time I walk through my kitchen and it makes me smile inside. Chatterbox is pretty taken with them herself, perching on a stool and opening them, despite my instructions and threats. (resigned sigh) The fingerprints on the glass lids and rice scattered on the carpet beneath was inevitable, I guess.

I even got ride of the strawberry teapot that's been sitting on my stovetop all these years. (Many of my friends were thinking, "Finally!!" as they read that.)

I know that things are not too important, nor are they the path to happiness. But a few fun details really spice up life. Could I live without canisters? Of course--I have for so long. But I'm quite pleased with the purchase anyway. Even if the kids do make a mess of them.

7 comments:

Cluff Family said...

So Cute! You make me laugh. I can appreciate the quest for canisters! I dont have any, but ashley just bought some cute ones from target. I am sad about the strawberry teapot, as I have a very special place in my heart for all things strawberry.

amydear said...

Mmm, it took me a long time to find canisters too. Now my counters are so small I can only show off two at a time, but I have plans for all four lined up in a pretty row. I'm sad about the strawberry teapot. I loved that teapot!

Amy and Chad Larson Family said...

I envy the counter space even more than the cannisters.

I'm also sad about the strawberry teapot. Did you really throw it out? Go retrieve it!

Todd and Anna said...

Ohhhh, really- the strawberry teapot is gone! I guess new exciting Costco cannisters are a good replacement though. I also envy the counter space!

Polliwog said...

Wow, you all really loved my teapot all these years, and I never knew? It's astonishing. You almost convinced me to drag it out of the Salvation Army bin, but I'm holding firm.

Maren Hansen said...

Ahh, the teapot is gone? I must admit that it does bring a small tear to my eye... :) But I understand the need to declutter. I have had a ball reading your blog--I miss you! I hope you all are doing well--on the far side of the country, know we are thinking of you. (And maybe you could say a special prayer that I won't totally blow my new calling as Enrichment leader... ARGG!)... :)

Emily said...

Em. congratulation on the canisters! You are not a true suburbia goddess without a set! Ah, the finer things!