Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Running with Robin Hood

I've always been a sucker for Robin Hood stories. I adored reading The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley and Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt. There's just something about the daring and the righteous rebellion of the legend. Well, to my delight, I discovered the BBC's Robin Hood, Season 1, on a random somebody's amazon list. I have been running while watching it ever since. And on the days I don't want to run, I just have to think of that juicy dvd waiting for me and I hop right up and throw on my running clothes.

It's quirky, campy, impossible, and modern all at once. Robin Hood is not as I imagined him (read not hunkilicious), in fact the most handsome character is Guy of Gisbourne who is, unfortunately, just too wicked to have even a pretend crush on. The music at the beginning and with the closing credits is energetic and helps me start and end my run strong. Did I mention I LOVE running to this show?

Unfortunately, I have only 3 episodes left from the 4th disc. Then it's au revoir to my new favorite pasttime, at least until season 2 comes out on dvd. It's airing in Britain now, but not in the States apparently, which just makes me want to move to England.

3 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

This show sounds fun, but I'm even more excited about the idea of watching a series while I work out. That would definitely be a motivator to me!

Cluff Family said...

I always watch Gilmore girls on the treadmill. What a grey day it was when I finished all six seasons.

Em said...

Hmm, I'll have to try it.

Nancy-I've watched other shows while running (I love the long BBC period films, particularly Bleak House), but there was something extra special about this one--the fast pace, the constant surprises, the soundtrack with swooshing arrows, horns and cymbals...It was perfect!