Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A lot of art


I think I'm one of those moms. You know, the ones who care a little too much about how well their child does in school. And thinks their child is brilliant. You know, those really annoying women? Well, I think I am one of them. Here's why:

Chatterbox is just finishing her third week of preschool. It's a co-op, and by this I mean that the moms are the teachers. I will have to teach for 3 weeks. I knew when I chose this preschool that it was "play-based", meaning (I think) that the emphasis is creativity, play and enjoyment, not academics. That's fine. We do plenty of writing and reading at home and my main purpose of getting her in a preschool was socialization.

But subconsciously maybe I was confused, because today I found myself asking her, "Did your teacher say what a great job you did writing your name?" and feeling a tad disappointed that, apparently, no one has been blown away by her skills.

And I think she is learning about, er scratch that, I mean enjoying Halloween 3 of the 4 weeks of October. Through my post, you can see the projects she has already brought home. In just 7 days. Is it just me, or is that a lot of art?!Maybe it's the teacher in me. Maybe it's being a first-time mom. I guess I should be grateful for all the projects. Now I don't have to feel guilty about not doing them at home. So after this confession, I've decided that I just need to relax and let this girl savor her childhood a little bit. And I totally will. Just as long as she's ahead of the curve.

1 comment:

Crystal and Jake said...

Yes this is a lot of art. For some reason I think most people have a hard time thinking of other things to do with kids, i think this happens a lot in Primary too, I can remember being in primary and having sharing time be a lot of art a lot of the time.