As I drove down our long, dirt driveway today and turned out onto the paved road, I felt the palpable weight of abnormality on my shoulders. I wondered how a simple trip to the library--just 5 rural miles away, in the one-stoplight "town"--could feel so strange? I knew instantly it was because I was on my own, meaning without any children in tow.
It's always seemed a little weird for me to be "childless" but especially since we left Michigan, there are far fewer opportunities for me to leave the kids with D and have a night out, and there aren't enough places close enough for quick trips. I would never just zip, for instance, to the grocery store. Life has changed.
Maybe I need to get out more. But mostly, I just feel blessed to have my two little sidekicks along for all of life's adventures. Taking care of myself alone is totally overrated.
3 comments:
Girls night out is always a positive thing. It was fun going to dinner and hanging out!
Good for you! When I am a kid less I always feel like something is missing and I say to myself I wish so and so could see or do this with me! Funny isn't it? However, I really like time alone too! Have a super week!
It is true, the first time i went somewhere alone without Kate, I momentarily went to get her out of the backseat.
Post a Comment