Thursday, February 14, 2008

So far from home

D was driving his usual 40 minute commute to work last week, when suddenly he spotted next to him something he would never have expected to see on a California freeway. Here is the photo he snagged (while driving--illegal?):
Of course, this made his day. Our fellow University of Michiganders will no doubt appreciate the moment, but for the rest of you--this is one of a fleet of U Mich buses which D rode to school every workday of his 3-year stint there. He was flabbergasted to encounter this one (a new bus, even!) on the freeway. It bore a sign saying "commuter" on the front. So it's true--wonders never do cease.

10 comments:

amydear said...

Was it full of angry, depressed people looking for sunshine and fresh produce? Why didn't I get invited to ride this bus! I know just where to get on it.

Polliwog said...

I'm afraid that would be one L O N G ride. (Perhaps worth it, though?)

Ken and Amy said...

THE BLUE BUS! Jill still askes to go on rides on the blue bus. Who would've ever thought you'd see one in CA!

caligirl said...

Oh how I miss the sound of the big blue bus as it passed by our house every 30 minutes...really, I do. I miss tons about Michigan..not the weather but I do miss it. Thanks for the smile:-)

Miguel said...

Wow! What a throwback. I'm with T. And specifically I have so many memories tied to the bus. Did you know that while waiting for it one icy morning, Jacob licked "frost" (I don't know what it was) off the bus stop shelter and yep. Froze his tongue to the metal. My sweet unknowing friend from Turkey immediately yanked him off. Owww!

Angie said...

Yay for the big blue bus! That's awesome that you were able to have a touch of Michigan in California. I'm with amypete, I bet it was full of sad people who wanted sun and better produce!

Cheri said...

I was the one who accidentally posted as "Mike." Just so you don't think there's some weirdo on here!
-Cheri

Kierstin said...

Gooooo BLUE!!! That is crazy. What was that bus doing in Cali?! We definitely miss those bus rides to the museum and then just for the heck of it.

Emily said...

What an odd coincidence. Ode to the blue bus.

Maren Hansen said...

Wow, that is just too Twilight Zone. We actually have a bus stop just a few houses up (there are buses everywhere in this here DC area). Our landlady thought it would bug us, and I just smiled. Go big BLUE!