Monday, February 11, 2008

Spring has sprung!

While some of you are relishing hot chocolate and snowed-in days, I am experiencing an extreme contrast to my last winter in Michigan. I keep having to remind myself that it's February. This entire week we are in the 60's, and the sun shines down on us until evening. I have daffodils budding in my front beds and will be planting 10 packets of flower seeds in just two short weeks. And to celebrate it all we had a barbecue tonight, complete with watermelon and grilled asparagus. Chatterbox has mastered her bicycle (no training wheels!) in the past two days. It only took ramming straight into the waste basket, Smidget, and a fence for her to realize that watching her feet pedaling wasn't the best use of her skills.

Another beautiful bonus of living in Cali is the produce, both in availability and in cost. I almost fell over when I paid 49 cents for a red pepper today. It never ceases to amaze me how much less expensive the fresh produce is here. Last week we had big, beautiful strawberries and the week before I paid $6.00 for a big package of the sweetest blueberries I have ever tasted.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things I am lonely for, but I'm counting my blessings here . . . and the sunshine sure makes it easier to see them. ;)

4 comments:

Paige said...

Oooh, can I come live with you? We will get there eventually, but we sure aren't there yet...

amydear said...

That's just about enough from you! It feels like -2 here today and there is no fresh produce in sight! But really, I'm glad for you. And I'm coming to visit!

Angie said...

I am so jealous. We have been in negative degree weather here for the past few days I am just about done with it! No fair, I'm moving to Cali. Kroger's produce just doesn't even compare to what you are describing. Even their signs that say "fresh produce" is questionable.

Polliwog said...

Seriously. I hate Kroger. There is a store here called WinCo and it is, in my opinion, what grocery shopping should be everywhere. Everything is cheap (think FoodMaxx) but the meat and produce aren't suspect. You do have to bag your own groceries, but honestly I think I do a better job of that than most of my recent helpers. (Put the cold items together, people! Bread on the top!)