Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

I know this day is traditionally a holiday for romantics, and purists might have my head for the following thought, but truly: Valentine's Day has been the most fun for me 1) in elementary school, long before I had any true love interests, when we would make our decorated cereal box "mail boxes" and slip valentines into the little cut-out slot in the top and 2) since I have had girls and can dress them up for pink photos, shower them with small gifts, and live vicariously through their construction paper creations.

One very happy memory I have is the tradition established (I thought) by my father--he would bring each child home a special Valentine's Day mylar balloon. It was the only time during the whole year that we got such a shiny, floating surprise and we delighted in them. Eight kids in the family meant a whole swarm of balloons. (Only last year did I learn of my mother's involvement in this, supplying the balloons most years with credit going straight to my forgetful father.) I shared my enthusiasm for this tradition with D and he began it last year. Since he's not home from work, you'll have to settle for last year's photo.

Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for the romance too. But as far as that goes, I learned a while back to enjoy what Valentine's Day brings without placing too many expectations on it. Tonight D and I are headed out for dinner and a movie. In days past, I may have been annoyed at the "same-oldness" of such a date, but not now . . . I'm on cloud 9 with the prospect of not having to cook (yum!) and of having time to talk and laugh alone with my husband. And I won't worry too much about the kiddies--they'll be home with Grandma and Grandpa enjoying their balloons!

6 comments:

Susie said...

The greatest part about your (your dad's?) tradition is that it doesn't take much more than a single balloon to make a kid all giddy. Very, very cute.

amydear said...

So I bought two balloons for the kiddos today, but one got sucked out of the van and way up high in the sky when I opened the door. Guess I didn't tie them down well enough. Luckily the kids are good at sharing one balloon. It's a cute one with a frog that says "I love you!" And I love you! Have a happy date.

Ken and Amy said...

Cute girls and cute Valentines shirts! Balloons are a fun tradition!

Angie said...

That is a wonderful tradition! Your girls are so cute. I love reading your blog

Michelle said...

Cute girls! I am learning it is a lot more fun to dress girls then boys. I have also found that valentines is a lot more fun if my expectations of the day are low. The most fun is helping my kids make valentines, sugar cookies, and decorating the house. It's fun to read your blog!

Amy and Chad Larson Family said...

So Valentine's Day is for kids too? Maybe that will help me stop hating it. I want to love it, since it is about love, but I don't love. It is so inconvenient and has so many expectations attached to it. I have both botched many a Valentine's day (think working too late and trying to buy a nice dinner on the way home) and been the recipient of a botched Valentine's day (think Chad running to Kroger after 9 p.m. and coming home with a wilted tulip--singular).

Love seeing your girls.

Lover your blog. I've been slacking on comments, but I ALWAYS read it.

ABL