Sunday, February 3, 2008

Something to say


Words have failed me the past week. I've read and cried through lots of posts, wondering if my lack of comment showed me to be callous, unbelieving, or unaffected by the loss of President Hinckley.

Today at church I had the rare occasion to break away from Primary and attend Relief Society with the women of our ward. The lesson was a tribute to President Hinckley. My tears flowed freely as I remembered his twinkling smile, his heartfelt devotion, and the way his life and faithfulness has changed my life. And then came the thought I want to share ...

I thought of how much I love him--how much I will miss him--and I realized that there are truly millions who feel that same devotion and love. To me, this is the mark of greatness. While the world hails money, power, possessions, beauty and youth as success, President Hinckley's life demonstrates that none of those things are truly important. The sacrifices he has made, combined with his sincere humility and dedicated service have earned the hearts of millions.

He has been the prophet of my adulthood, and the only one my children have known. I know he was a prophet of God, trained up for his time of service. For this and so many more reasons, I will miss him.

I just couldn't leave it unsaid.

4 comments:

Susie said...

Very sweet. I will miss him, too. Hope the dedication run was meaningful for you.

Cluff Family said...

Well said.

Crystal and Jake said...

I have been suprised at myself, at how much I have cried about his passing. I don't usually cry, and in some ways his passing is good news for him.

Angie said...

I also have been trying to find the words to say how much I will miss President Hinckley. I have cried a lot since his passing, but I am so happy that he is with his sweet wife again.