Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Enormous Crocodile


Jackpot! I've been trying out different chapter books on Chatterbox, who turns 4 next week. Our first attempt was Charlotte's Web, which was tremendously successful. Our second was Runaway Ralph, which just wasn't up her alley. (Boys might like it, though.) We didn't finish it. After a couple of weeks of slacking, I headed back to the library, determined to find the perfect chapter book--fun, surprising, engaging . . . and above her reading level. When I happened upon the Roald Dahl section, I almost squealed with glee. But which book to start with? That was the conundrum. Well, I hereby officially recommend The Enormous Crocodile. What a smashing hit!

Technically, it's not a chapter book. It's longer than your regular picture book, but with no chapter breaks. Quentin Blake's illustrations are delightful, but Roald Dahl's humor is the main course. And if you're going to read it, here's a little tip--make sure you do voices for the animals. You might as well go all out, right? Halfway through the book, Smidget (who we didn't even know was paying attention) chimed in with a deep-throated "Ha! Ha! Ho! Ho!" which I had just read from the crocodile. C-box and I erupted in giggles. We finished it quickly, and now C-box is hitting up every adult who comes over for another read.

Disclaimer: Please read it through yourself before reading it to your child. It's possible some kids might not catch the humor and exaggeration, and it could be scary. I leave the decision of its appropriateness for your own child entirely up to you.

Read the teaser here.

5 comments:

amydear said...

You are inspiring me to read a chapter book to my kids. I tried Harry Potter, but they were a little scared. I was also spending too much time explaining vocab. I will try this book! Still miss you.

Susie said...

I have been toying with the idea of reading a chapter book with Anna for some time now but you have sold me on the idea. Hearing that Smidget chimed in made me realize that I don't have to use my precious "Anna and me" time to read a more accelerated book, I can read it to all of the kids and be pleasantly surprised if the younger ones enjoy it too. I tried it today and realized that I have SO underestimated them! Thanks for the tip!

Maren Hansen said...

What a great idea--I just adore Roald Dahl, a fact I attribute to Elisha Condie. I'll have to try this one on Bub--I'm sure she and Domba will love it!

Lanes said...

We will have to try that one. We just got done reading "My Father's Dragon" and "Mr. Popper's Penguins". The girls LOVED both of them. We will put this one on our list after we finish "No Flying in the House" - they are liking that one too!

Cheri said...

Emily - I just thought it bizarre that the first 2 chapter books I did with Jacob were Charlotte's web and runaway ralph. both hits with Jacob. I'll have to give this book a try too. I love it that Jake knows how to read on his own now. he is enjoying the Magic Treehouse series. I think it's a boy thing, though.