Friday, November 16, 2007

Oh Happy Day

Whew! D had a birthday today. If you are a faithful reader, you may be thinking, "Didn't she just post about a birthday?!" Why yes, yes I did . . . because I have a child and a husband with birthdays one week apart. Not well-planned, I will add as a sidenote, though I know many people have it much, much worse. So enough complaining.

D is finally the same age as me. We do this little dance every year where, for three interminable months, I am his elder and I get to hear the same old jokes, over and over ad nauseum. Finally that will abate and I can have 9 months of same-aged peace. Ah---

One last piece of valuable information from the birthday festivities: I was sick of cakes and wanted to do something easy (but of course, still nice) for D's big 3-1. His dad reminisced about a "cake" he'd had 14 years ago that was essentially Cool-Whip and ice cream sandwiches layered. Since D is a big fan of the ice cream sandwich, I decided to give it a shot. It was a roaring success. My brother-in-law, after a five minute conversation about me making it said, "Did you seriously make this?" That's how good it was. :)

The recipe, with my tweaking, is this:
1 1/2 smaller sized containers of Cool-Whip (or one larger one), 2 candy bars (3 Musketeers), hot fudge, 24 ice cream sandwiches (not Fat Boy).

In a 9x13 pan, spread Cool-Whip until it covers the bottom. Tightly fit ice cream sandwiches to form a layer. Spread another round of Cool-Whip, drizzle hot fudge, sprinkle 3 Musketeers. Fit another ice cream sandwich layer. Keep this in the freezer. Just before serving, add another round of Cool-Whip, fudge, and candy.

Some variations I'd like to try: crushed mint grasshopper cookies instead of candy bar with peppermint candy crushed and sprinkled on top for Christmas; caramel ice cream topping instead of candy bar. You could get very creative and if you do, please let me know. It's only fair.

4 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

The cake sounds so tasty! Speaking of people having it worse... I have to endure 10 months of being older than my husband, with only 2 months of same-aged respite.

amydear said...

Happy birthday, D! Did you get our monkey mail for Chatterbox? The cake sounds good. Did you eat any?

Cluff Family said...

Yum! My favorite desserts are fast easy one. I have heard of this one, but never tried it. Happy Birthday D! As old as Emily now? That is OLD!

Susie said...

Gosh, I still remember when D came home from his mission at the tender age of 21! My, how time flies. Happy birthday!