We celebrated Chatterbox's 4th birthday yesterday. I determined that I am, officially, a Slacker Mom, as I cut every corner possible to make this day easy for myself. (I also am a Wimpy Mom, because I was still worn out!) We had a small get together with the Poulsens and Barberichs (minus dads who were working), Grandma and Grandpa, and Uncle Mark and Aunt Elisabeth. I bought some easy appetizers at Costco for that. Instead of homemade anything, we bought some pencils at the dollar store for C-box to distribute at preschool. I did make the cakes, because I figured that was the least I could do. Plus, I couldn't stomach the cost (or the cake, actually) if I bought it.
Anyway, with the party over, today I thought back to how my life has changed since this precious little girl made her debut.
- Bathroom habits--Where once I could go when and where I needed to, and spend as much time as I needed, I now find myself in painful agony holding it because, hey, that's the more appealing alternative to hauling little ones in a public restroom with me. If we're at home, I rush around getting them settled, fed, and quiet so that I can sneak away and steal a minute or two for myself in the necessary. But it's like there's a button on the seat; no sooner am I on it than I hear tiny voices--"Mom? Where are you?"
- Romance--It's actually hard to dust this memory off, it's so buried, but I am pretty sure there was a time in our lives where we could spontaneously decide to go out to eat or to a movie and be on our way within 5 minutes. I also recall (foggily) enjoying frequent meals in cozy, candlelit restaurants with ambiance. Now it seems our spot of choice must include a toy with the meal.
- Radio and music--Four years ago, I felt smarter. I listened to NPR every morning while driving to work. I also had pretty up-to-date taste in music. Now I'm thrilled (THRILLED) with the latest Laurie Berkner cd we gave C-box for her birthday because I could. not. handle. one more round of Barney, Mickey, Wiggles, old Laurie Berkner, or Raffi. Yes, we are in the car a lot.
And thanks to all of you who mailed cards, called, or sent happy thoughts our way. We love our dear friends and family and miss you! See more pics on our website.
10 comments:
There is nothing slacker about those cakes. Wow, those look great! Sound like Ellie had a good time. Fun to see the photos on your web site too. Jayda sent Ellie a birthday letter last Tuesday, not sure if it made it on time, if not she will have something to look forward to next week in the mail.
What a sweet little tribute to motherhood. Yes, our lives change forever and involve quite a bit of sacrifice, but the rewards are innumerable! It's nice to see cultured, intelligent people like you happy and satisfied with the choice to bear children. You get to pass everything that you are and more down to the next generation. What greater influence can there be?
Emily, you really are wonderful and need to give yourself more credit. I enjoy your writing and hope to be able to read your published works sometime in the not to distant future.
Happy Birthday to Chatterbox! Darling cakes. My goal is to simplify, really - what does a four year old really NEED for her birthday-not much. Good Job mom!
This gets me excited for parenting... wait, no it doesn't (it was funny though). Thanks Emmy dolly emmy.
No slacker mom makes a cake that cute. Happy Birthday Ellie!
Hey will you send you family site to me? I lost it somehow.
Very cute cake!
I haven't listened to Laurie Berkner yet, but feel the same way about Dan Zanes and Ralph Covert. Funny how life changes, huh?
I liked your comment regarding "feeling smarter listening to NPR on your way to work". Me, too! :)
such a hot age, herpussy isn't ready forcock yet but her mouth and tight littleass sure are
Post a Comment