
I've been wanting to write a post on gratitude, but whenever I start to mentally enumerate my blessings, it all seems pretty straightforward. I mean I'm sure we are all immensely grateful for our families, whether those include a spouse, children, parents or siblings. And of course I then add to that how lucky I feel to have a roof over our heads, food to eat, hot water to shower with, chocolate to munch (just threw that in to see if you're paying attention!) . . . I mean these are the things I am profoundly grateful for--every moment--but I don't think any of you want to read about them. :)
I am also full of thanks for the direction my life has headed, and I attribute that to the sacrifices and dedicated teachings of my parents. Their examples of faith have carried me through times of weakness and doubt. These words, spoken in an April talk by Bonnie Parkin, remind me of the link between gratitude and faith.
(Read the whole talk here.)Luke chapter 17 records the experience of the Savior when He healed 10 lepers. As you recall, only one of the cleansed lepers returned to express his appreciation. Isn't it interesting that the Lord did not say, "Your gratitude has made you whole"? Instead, He said, "Thy faith hath made thee whole."
The leper's expression of gratitude was recognized by the Savior as an expression of his faith. As we pray and express gratitude to a loving but unseen Heavenly Father, we are also expressing our faith in Him. Gratitude is our sweet acknowledgment of the Lord's hand in our lives; it is an expression of our faith.
Our family has seen the Lord's hand in our lives throughout the past few months through the words and support of friends we miss and through the windows He has opened. He is directing our family. We don't know how or when this time of uncertainty will end for us, but we are grateful all along the way for the small and large blessings that rain upon us, especially our associations with you (you know who you are).
Happy Thanksgiving!
2 comments:
I've been feeling lots of gratitude lately too. Thanks for your connection to faith. That is an idea to ponder. I have been enjoying "praying without ceasing," as Sis. Beck advised in a recent talk. It has put gratitude (and faith) in the forefront of my mind.
Loved this. Great reminder
Post a Comment