Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ode to Costco


When cupboards fall to leanness and I frown
My pantry quickly fills again with ease
I empty massive boxes, break them down
And use the food for meals that surely please.
I love your spacious halls; your shelves that reach the sky
They’re stocked with items from my dreams and wishes.
It feels that nothing ever will run out
And yet, some days a treasure or two I’ll spy
A toy for Christmas, a sparkling set of serving dishes
But if I wait to buy it, next time you’ll be without.

O, Costco, land of abundance, land of cheer
I visit you at least three times a week
I feel so blessed to have your presence near
For years you’ve been too far for me to seek
Most everything about you fills my heart with ardor
But one thing mars the sparkle of your shine
Your parking lot distends with varying wheels
And makes my trips the teensiest bit harder
I park my ride, unbuckle kids--they start to whine
I lug them, midst the protests and the angry squeals.

It’s worth it, dearest soul, to enter in your gates
I flash my card, its red stripe triumphant gleams
On fortunate days a cookie table waits
And samples line the aisles, as in my dreams
Too often I have bought more than my budget says I should
I fight to resist, but prices are just right!
I love the cheese plates, chicken, milk and bread,
Dino nuggets, canned corn, salad bags. If only I could
Buy it all! But pushing one colossal cart takes all my might.
O Costco, thanks to you my family gets fed.

5 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

I wonder--have you ever sampled the Costco Sugar Snap Peas?
Healthy, green, and crispy--these pods are sure to please.

Polliwog said...

Mmmm. They sure are. I'll pick up a bag tomorrow. ;)

Woods said...

Wow, maybe you should think about publishing that. Hey I don't have your email address and I was going to tell you I get paper from the scrapbook stores and just scan it into my pictures. I love the paper called CRATE PAPER. That is my favorite paper. I wish I could find it online. Your blog is always so fun to read. Please do ask if you have any questions. P.S. your kids are adorable, you should think about having many of them.

amydear said...

Ah, a poem. Noble effort, literary-minded one. I enjoyed your ode. And I also enjoy Costco, but I can't believe you go there three times a week! Is it close? Do you have that many bulk items to buy?

Maren Hansen said...

Ah, the lure of Costco. I've had to limit myself to once a week trips (for gas and milk, I tell Derek)... :) You should sell that poem to them. You could make your first million... Then be the next Wordsworth...