But she didn't. Know what I mean, I mean. Her face froze in an I'm disgusted, I pity you, What do I say now, panicked look. Then she muttered, "I'm sorry" and laughed nervously.
Mortified, I helped my daughter gather her belongings and we rushed ourselves out of there. I kept asking myself on the long drive home, "Where did that conversation go wrong?" I finally realized that it was doomed from the get-go by my casual assumption that all children eat their boogies. I guess mine is actually an anomaly. She's gross. And I don't know what to do about it, but I'd better come up with a solution quickly or I will, apparently, be looked down upon for years to come.
Fellow mothers, I beg you to share your advice. How did you break your children of their booger-eating habit. Oh, wait, you probably have no idea because, and I am putting this in bold so I will get it through my head, most kids don't eat boogers!
13 comments:
Are you kidding me? ALL kids eat boogers. I'm not proud to say that I have to ask H approximately 5 times a day to STOP picking his nose. He says he doesn't have a kleenex or a kleenex doesn't work. I would actually be semi okay with the nose picking if the fruits of his labor didn't go directly into his mouth. Ugh. Maybe we should start a 12 step program for nose pickers.
I still eat boogers and I'm 27.
Oh, I feel so much better. :) Thanks, amy!
Dolphinsbarn, you just make me itch. Ugh.
I volunteered in my son's classroom today and saw quite a bit of picking-then-eating. Does it make you feel better to know that other kids out there are doing it, or does it make you feel worse, knowing that they are 6 years old and still haven't stopped?!
I'm sure noone has ever died form boogies, or all mine would be dead and deader. I have one in particular who wipes his nose on his sleeve. White marks all up and dwon the sleeve. Sometimes I jsut tell him to eat them instead :)
I totally believe dolphinsbarn still eats the green goblins!
Where do these mothers come from?! Anyways, I am going to comfort me and you at the same time while letting you know my kids still pick their noses. In fact, last night during FHE, we were playing a game and it was Andy's turn. He said "Just a second." Ran and hid under Amelia's blanket - did the quick dirty deed - and ran back to join us. Gross!! But of course Mike and I are laughing while cringing...actually I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach with all this talk...
Here's a little of everything you didn't really need to know about the deed. (I actually did a report on this in college)
The way I see it the "nose pickers of the world" do it because something in it is not quite right. It also becomes classified as one of those nasty hard to break habits (I have seen many adults who still pick... and eat... their boogers)There was a 1995 study that reported 95% of adults still do the deed and 8% of those people admitted to eating it. yuck.
The "experts" say that until 12 kids have much smaller nasal cavities and so not much room for storage of the tasty mucus. Once the fascinating cavern is discovered- exploring it becomes a boredom buster or self soothing habit. Others say that some kids use it as attention getters. What can we do? Ignore it, Act-don't talk, offer choices and sometimes nothing only waiting for the peer pressure that sets on sometime before adulthood that may help eliminate the socially undesirable behavior. Besides that they say deal with allergies, keep them well hydrated and teach them to do it in the privacy of the bathroom. Unless they mine until there is blood there is no real reason to worry, oh and I almost forgot about the bandaids on the fingers trick, petroleum jelly up the nose or a little saline spray. On the bright side it has been proved that those who eat 'em build up their immune system and are healthier!
Wow. Do you feel great that your blog about boogers has a record number of comments? I, for one, am laughing out loud (while simultaneously trying to swallow the bile coming up my throat) as I read these. But the last one, by litbit, is actually quite informative. Let's not have Boogies, part II though. This has been enough.
I'm loving the comments, people! Who knew?! And I'm so very, VERY glad to know my child is not a disgusting mutant. Three cheers for booger-eating. :) And for the healthy immune system all our kids are going to have.
My sis used to yell at her daughter all the time to stop picking and eating, and she asked her why. My sis said, "Because it's gross." My niece said, "How would you know? Have you ever tried them?" Those are my sister's words from every meal time coming back to haunt her...
Oh, this post just hit the spot. No, I am not a booger eater BUT I needed a good laugh! This was classic.
An organic immune system boost?! Who knew? Sign me up. Lilbit has made a booger-eater out of me.
Post a Comment