
Tomorrow (July 1) in California a new law goes into effect--you may not use a cell-phone while driving unless you are equipped to do so "hands free".
I think it's a fabulous law, for everyone else. I, however, am not personally looking forward to implementing it. Why? Well, because I think I'm an excellent driver--never distracted, a pleasure to be upon the road with. I'm positive I have never cut off anyone while using my cell phone. I doubt I've missed signaling. I simply don't get distracted.
I'm kidding. (Sort of.) But the thing is, I really do abhor those hands-free device thingies. Picture me, driving along the rural roads, soon to be on the freeway. I push the little cell-phone picture on my blue tooth ear piece and make the simple command--kindly, slowly, firmly: "Call. Mom."
"Did you say--Call. Mark F?" responds the computerized voice, desperately going for human but not pulling it off due to completely botching my request.
"No." I respond patiently. I repeat my command, possibly somewhat louder.
"Command not recognized with flip closed" she answers. (I hope you are reading this computer lady's voice with the proper tone.) Now I'm getting peeved.
This lovely dance continues 5 more times (on a great day) before I am blessedly connected. On a bad day (of which there are many, many more) our "communication" ends with me angrily tearing the device from my ear, slamming it in the change collecting drawer, and going back to my comfort-zone--hands ON my cell phone.
But--(resentful sniff)--tomorrow that will all be in the past.
So if when I call you I sound like I'm in a wind tunnel, or you can hear my kids screaming, or if you are Mark F (the computer lady ALWAYS thinks I'm trying to call you) I issue you my deepest apologies. I've got to uphold the law, though. (Do I really?) I'm at least going to try.
Really, really hard.
4 comments:
So the funny thing about this so-called law is that the majority of distraction actually comes from participating in a conversation, not from holding something in your hand while driving. Although, I suppose that when push comes to shove, driving with two hands while distracted by a cell phone conversation still wins out over driving with one hand while distracted by said conversation. Glad I don't live in Cali.
ha When I read that I could of swore that I had written it! I agree.
When we lived in New Mexico I must admit we had this law and I broke it all the time. It was not state wide though which I think is worse. I personally hate laws that get in my personal business but maybe that is the rebelious side of me. I am sure bluetooth is a necessary evil but I frankly have the best time making fun of people who talk on those things when they are in the grocery store, out with friends, at the bank, and once I even saw a woman talking on hers while checking her son into Urgent Care. What a dork!
This was enforced in NY. Pure misery.
Post a Comment