I really love the idea behind a slow-cooker/crock-pot (though I still don't know if there's a difference between the two!)--I mean, who can balk at throwing dinner in a pot 6 hours before you want it and having it hot and ready when the time comes around? And I got a new beauty for Christmas from D.
My problem is in execution. For one thing, I only have 2 recipes that I really like in the crock-pot. Consequently, they've both been a tad overdone. And I have two "Fix-it and Forget it" cookbooks, but they have to be written in the most uninspiring cookbook format I've come across. So the crock-pot has just sat, glum in its loneliness, in the bottom of my cabinet for months. I almost packed it away a few days ago, but luckily I decided against it. Because 2 days ago, look what I found--A Year of CrockPotting! I even made the Mongolian Beef for D's Father's Day dinner. Yum! (It was a tad too spicy for me, but I don't like spice too much these days. D loved it.) Next I'll be trying the Chinese lemon chicken.
Another beautiful blog which is all about using food storage in delicious ways is called Everyday Food Storage and Preparation. Check it out, you'll definitely want to book mark it!
And now I'm off to feed the kids, pack some boxes, and avoid the smothering 100 degree heat that is June in Fresno. (The price we pay for being able to plant a garden in February ...)
3 comments:
I had found that blog about crockpotting a while back. It is a really great one. I love to use my crockpot. I find a recipe book with pictures always works great for me. I will have to check out the food storage and preparation blog because I haven't see that one. Happy Crockpotting.
Yes for the crock pot I agree the easiest way to make a meal that feels like it took a while to make. Also somebody must be getting very pregnant resulting in tons of blogs lately for us to read!
I too have a crock pot that I got for Christmas (2 years ago) that I have used once. I have good intentions, but I haven't been able to find recipes that I like and that are low fat/healthy. I will check out this website and maybe the crock pot will emerge from the cabinet.
Post a Comment