I've heard tell of a fabulous phenomenon called "Nesting". Apparently, a nesting woman experiences great bursts of energy, driving her to clean voraciously, organize crazily, or complete some other massive task all with superhuman strength, capacity, and speed.
I, myself, have never truly experienced this, at least not to the degree I've heard in pregnancy legends. Sure, now and then I get an energy burst, but it generally carries me through about 30 minutes, after which I throw myself in my cushy recliner chair, entirely spent and worthless for at least an equivalent 30 minutes.
But I could really, REALLY use this nesting power right about now. I made a goal a week ago to pack 3-5 boxes a day--3 on a bad day, 5 on a good day. I've made the quota consistently, but only because around 9 pm I end up begging D to pitch in and lend his energetic self to my task. He's been a good sport, but now that everything in the vicinity of the television is packed, his support may wane.
It is getting progressively harder too. The first boxes are always the easiest--you just fill them up with all the stuff you're not using. But now we're to the tricky part, where you *might* need an item in the next 3 weeks, but you're just not sure. The mental aspect of it is equally overwhelming to me as the physical. Not to mention the added insomnia bonus I'm dealing with--I was up from 3:30-5:00 last night, and now I'm still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, even though it's 11:00. We're off to a rough start.
Any tips to activating the magical mystery of nesting? After all, I'm pregnant...I should be entitled to the benefits as well as the misery. Right? RIGHT?
8 comments:
The only nesting experience I've every had is to think about it. Not very helpful. As far as packing goes, my trick is to pack up the kitchen early on. It's such a pain, and it's so nice to get it done, and be surviving with just a few plates and cups--for some reason it helps me tackle the other stuff. It also helps me excuse myself for not cooking/eating out more.
Personally, I think the nesting phenonmenon decreases with each pregnancy one endures. Could be because we know what's coming and we need all the rest we can get? No suggestions here. Just get it done before baby arrives, because you know what's coming...
Keep it up! Something like if 'you build it- they will come' comes to mind.
I think packing 5 boxes a day sounds really good. I think you are a natural nester (busy and energetic) so it would be too difficult to be anymore superhuman right! :)
KJ-what a positive spin you've put on my lack of drive. I am adopting that attitude right now! ;)
I must say I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one who isn't a big "nester". I thought maybe something was wrong with me ...
And bad news--only 1 box was packed yesterday. Boo. (Unless you count the one we had to open, dig through, and tape up again. That would make 2.)
Em- It is uncanny to me. I read your posts and I am like, WOW..that is so my life. Except the running and the vegetable garden part. ;) Who would have the energy to nest when you have all that going on anyway? Superwoman!
I love the description of packing everything in the vicinity of the television, then getting stuck. Having just packed and moved, I feel your pain. I can't imagine being pregnant too, although sometimes I have bad dreams about it. Why don't you get a mantra? One like: "Keep going, keep going, you're doing great. Just keep going, put your stuff in a crate." Lame, I know, but hopefully you recognize it!
I always read organizing/cleaning books to motivate me. The bad news is I only stay motivated for a day or so after I've finished reading! I have the same problem with exercise. I like to sit on the couch and watch videos and cheer the TV girls on--I just can't seem to get my "booty" off the couch and do the exercise with them.
We moved to our first home six weeks before Jackie was due. I think the move sped things up, because she was born a month early.
Maybe if you think that packing and moving will speed up your delivery date...that will motivate you!
Post a Comment