Friday, June 13, 2008

A Little Bit of Awesomeness

Today while driving far too long at far too great an expense (gas! eek!) my littlest was getting grumpy. This is par for the course--we generally end our car trips with screams (by her), threats (by me), and occasional near-accidents due to my stress. This time was different, though, because she had brought along a book to look at.

Not that she was looking at it. That only lasted the first 10 minutes of the trip, so it had been sitting on the seat between my kids. On a whim, I said to Chatterbox, "Honey, could you try reading her that book?"

Then a little magic happened.

Chatterbox happily latched onto that idea, scooped up the book, and surprised us all with an emotive and flawless reading of the book, complete with pauses and questions: "Does the elephant look happy, sad, or surprised Smidget?" and when Smidget answered correctly, enthusiastic praise ensued, "Yes! That's right!"

I chuckled in my driver's seat, pleased at the peace and quiet and also at my little reader. She continues to surprise me.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Aw, that's awesome! Is she really old enough to be able to read? How crazy.

Susie said...

Isn't it wonderful that the reading and the service reinforce each other? It sounds like she gets a lot of joy out of both. Cute little oldest child.

klortz said...

How wonderful! Maya did the same thing for Delaney on the trip to Maryland! I'm glad it brought you relief. I TOTALLY agree it's such a joy and a real comfort.

Anonymous said...

I love when my kiddos read to each other. Way to go Chatterbox!

Cheri said...

I am BLOWN AWAY that she can read! That's amazing - and so fun!