Friday, June 27, 2008

So much for swimming

In the past four days, my girls have made lots of swimming progress. We've gone in the pool (next door in D's parents back yard) consistently and I've been amazed at how far they've come already.

Chatterbox loved being in the pool in her life jacket, but has now gone so far to jump in the pool and swim (yes, actually swim!) across the pool and back life jacket-free, face in the water and everything.

Smidget (2) wouldn't really come in the pool much at all, preferring to sit on the ladder and dangle her feet. She has a new life jacket (not the infant kind that throws you on your back), but couldn't keep her head above water in it. Well, in four days she has progressed to the point that she will, with her life jacket on, kick and paddle her way all around the pool. She can change direction and is easily able to keep herself above water.

So wouldn't you know it, while D had them in the pool last night (it's above ground, by the way, an important detail for the rest of the story), he suddenly got a panicked look on his face. "I just stepped in a hole" he moaned to his mother. I didn't know what he meant at first. But I looked down, and yep! there was a big hole in the bottom of the pool about 6 inches square. It didn't take long for the gravity of the situation to make itself known. The water began gushing through the--did you guess it?--gopher holes that had been dug out under the pool. We tried to stop the hole with plastic, but it either got sucked in or, if it worked, it only worked temporarily until more of the pool bottom ripped away. Most of the pool drained into the yard and filled the hole under the trampoline. What was still in the pool was pumped out into the orchard. Then D and his dad proceeded to pump as much out from under the trampoline as possible.

It's so sad. A bunch of our cousins came today for a big family reunion tomorrow (yes, in the back yard!!) and now there will be no swimming. Bummer.

2 comments:

Angie said...

That is both a hilarious and horrible story! I couldn't help but laugh. Did you see any gophers jumping out of their holes and running around the yard in shock? That totally would have made the whole experience worth it! Hopefully you guys will find some more fun stuff to do for the family reunion. :)

Emily said...

That IS a real bummer. Swimming is the only way a person can live through the summer here. Hope you can get it fixed soon.

Last post: Well, I thought I had it bad with our moving drama and having a new baby but I can't believe you are going to Utah in the middle of all of it! Holy cow woman. I hope all goes smoothly. There is always ice cream. ;)