1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
Non-existent. The only running I did 10 years ago was what it took to get me up and down the basketball court, football field, or around the baseball diamond. I was a sports girl and I loathed running. Oh, and ironically I was the distance track coach at the junior high where I taught. I would be a much better coach now.
2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?
I haven't really had a "worst" race, but on a 9-mile training run in Michigan it rained the whole time. I was drenched, but still thought it was a real adventure and came home with a smile on my face. The truth is, I can really make lemonade out of lemons when it comes to running. If I am out doing it, regardless of conditions, I am happy.
Though I've enjoyed all of my races for different reasons, the best is certainly my one and only (so far) marathon. I ran the Top of Utah in September of last year and it was incredible. The run was enjoyable, I finished, and I exceeded all expectations for myself.
3. Why do you run?
Initially it was to lose weight and be in shape, and to be able to eat what I like (treats!); but soon it evolved. I had a group of friends I could chat with every morning; I had some time all to myself; I felt so much peace while running; and my self-worth increased as I pushed my body to new heights. In my marathon training, I came to understand my body and its needs and limitations and I learned to take care of it and appreciate it. There are so many, many levels at which I enjoy (and need!) running.
4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?
Best--invest in good shoes and have them fit at a running store. Also, to start out easy and slow and keep at it.
5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.
I have a darling brand new pink Nike tech running shirt and matching jacket (with thumb holes!) hanging in my closet, just waiting for September 1st, when I plan on hitting the pavement for my first run in months. Can you tell I am excited?
2 comments:
This post got me all jazzed to start running again and I was really good for a couple of days. I guess there is just too much flapping around to keep me going... maybe that is why I should keep going. After running a couple of times, I dreamed about playing high school soccer and got jazzed again. Thanks for the post. I really enjoyed it.
And thank YOU for the comment. I almost commented myself, just so it wouldn't scream "0 comments!" at me every time I looked at it. I'm glad somebody read it. :) If you get to where you want to do a race sometime, let me know. We could probably find something we could team up for on a Saturday.
Post a Comment