Except, as I've lamented before, I can't.
So I was up early today and have managed to read 3o minutes to Chatterbox (we're reading Little House on the Prairie together and she is reading me Henry and Mudge on her own); put the third coat of white paint on the two bed frames we are refinishing (more on that in a soon-to-come post); and get us all dressed and fed with hair combed by 10:00. This represents a stellar effort for a gal like me.
Anyway, so far our first week of summer has gone like this--Monday was one of "those" days--we spent all morning looking at homes, after which I was beat (I'd only slept about 5 hours the night before). The girls ended up watching a few too many episodes of Little Einsteins, I didn't make dinner, and they didn't get baths. I felt like Loser Mom/Wife of the Century.
Thankfully, Tuesday was on the other end of the spectrum--I spent the morning sanding beds while the girls ran around outside, pretending and jumping on the trampoline. We had a picnic. We made chunky crayons. Chatterbox and I made tollhouse cookie bars. The kids ran through sprinklers and had popsicles. I made dinner, with side dishes and everything ;), and together D and I put another coat of paint on the beds while the kids rolled around in dirt, essentially. It was a great day, but I know myself well enough to realize that I can't keep up that kind of pace all summer long.
Here's a photo of my girls at the end of the day yesterday. Look closely to see the dirt ring around their mouths. They may be filthy, but they sure had a fun day. And yes, they DID get baths.
As an aside, for those of you moms looking for great summertime ideas (crafty and otherwise), I have recently found a few amazing sites. I happened upon The Crafty Crow via Today's Creative Blog. And while perusing there, I found lots of great spots, but I especially liked The Ramblings of a Crazy Woman. Today I'm stocking up on some necessary craft supplies so we can have lots of summertime project fun. Hope you enjoy these links. If you have some to share, I want them (I'm especially looking for sites that link a craft or learning activity with a picture book).
What summer plans do you have? We have library trips, zoo trips (season pass), friend play days, and lots of reading, cooking and crafting on our slate. How much and how often these activities actually occur will remain to be seen.
5 comments:
Fun summer so far! I have spent the last 3 days in orientation for work. We sit in a classroom for 8 hours and are bored out of our minds!!! I'm glad that you are having a greater time than I am. Good luck with the crafts and keeping the pace going. Keep us updated! I don't know if you saw the post I did a couple of weeks ago, but Keith and I went on a wonderful cruise and loved it! We had such a blast.
I am about to start re finishing some bunk beds too. You will have to show yours to I can get some tips.
Sounds like your last three days have been pretty productive. I can't wait to see pictures of your furniture project. If I run across any great crafty sites I will be sure to send them your way.
I love the one sleeve up gangsta' move (with folded arms as well!) by chatterbox. We had a neighbor in Michigan who wore his goggles almost everyday. Sometimes I would make the mistake of asking who he was pretending to be, and he would look at me like I was a moron and say, "It's me, Evan."
Have fun with this summer. And holy cow...all that done by 10 a.m.! I have those days, too - like ONCE A MONTH! Hope your frequency is a bit higher than mine! (: Get some sleep.
Wow. 6:30am. I hope that doesn't happen too often this summer. I am in denial about summer vacation. Ours won't officially start until we hit Oregon at the end of June. Then Labor Day's right around the corner, right? : )
I love Crayola Model Magic foamy clay -like stuff. It is a lot cleaner than playdough or clay, can dry and be rigid, and comes in cool colors. The kids are also into Perler beads. Yeah for crafts!
Post a Comment